donderdag 21 februari 2019

Book: The Witch's Daughter



Je zou bijna denken dat met al die lessen en zo ik geen tijd meer heb om te lezen maar toch probeer ik wat te lezen. Het is wel anders geworden, waar ik normaal met een echt boek de zetel in ga zitten heb ik nu vooral e-books op mijn gsm. Ik lees ook niet gewoon meer 's avonds, dan moet ik leren maar terwijl ik wacht op de tram of de bus of tijdens de middagpauze is zo'n "plat" boek wel handig. Het duurt nu wel veel langer om een boek uit te lezen omdat ik echt alleen lees als ik ergens moet wachten of terwijl ik op de tram zit.



You would think that with all those classes I wouldn't have time to read at all but I try to read a bit. It did change though, where I would normally sit on the sofa with a real book it's now more e-books on my smartphone. I don't read in the evening at all, then I need to study, but while I'm waiting on the tram or bus or during lunch break. And then is a "flat" book very handy. It takes a while to read a book now because I restrict myself to read only when I'm commuting or waiting for something.




En dan heb ik deze uit...
And so I finished this one....


De schrijfstijl is wel wat anders dan ik gewend ben maar het verhaal sleurt je echt mee en het was moeilijk om het op sommige momenten opzij te leggen. Ik hou van fantasy boeken en geschiedenis en alhoewel de geschiedenis niet accuraat is worden het heden en het verleden mooi in elkaar geweven. Ik voelde echt mee met het hoofdpersonage. Het boek zou opbouwen naar de volgende in de reeks dus ik kijk ook uit om dat boek te lezen.

Ik lees vooral in het Engels dus dit boek heb ik ook in het Engels gelezen. Ik heb gezocht op het internet maar kan geen Nederlandstalige versie vinden.

The writing style is different than I'm used to but the story just drags you in and it was hard to put it aside a some times. I love fantasy and history and although the history isn't correct the present and the past are nicely woven through. I really felt for the headcharacter. This is the first one in a series so I hope I will like the rest aswell.

I mostly read books in English so I read this one in English aswell. I searched the internet but I couldn't find a Dutch version.


----------------------
My name is Elizabeth Anne Hawksmith, and my age is three hundred and eighty-four years. Each new settlement asks for a new journal, and so this Book of Shadows begins.

In the spring of 1628, the Witchfinder of Wessex finds himself a true Witch. As Bess Hawksmith watches her mother swing from the Hanging Tree she knows that only one man can save her from the same fate at the hands of the panicked mob: the Warlock Gideon Masters, and his Book of Shadows. Secluded at his cottage in the woods, Gideon instructs Bess in the Craft, awakening formidable powers she didn't know she had and making her immortal. She couldn't have foreseen that even now, centuries later, he would be hunting her across time, determined to claim payment for saving her life.

In present-day England, Elizabeth has built a quiet life for herself, tending her garden and selling herbs and oils at the local farmers' market. But her solitude abruptly ends when a teenage girl called Tegan starts hanging around. Against her better judgment, Elizabeth begins teaching Tegan the ways of the Hedge Witch, in the process awakening memories—and demons—long thought forgotten.

------------------


Love, Babs



1 opmerking:

Madammeke Ongeduld zei

de engelse taal heeft je altijd geboeid, dus niet te verwonderen dat je die boeken graag leest